Hammers Pile More Misery On Blades

At the start of September, West Ham United beat newly-promoted Luton Town 2-1. On Saturday afternoon, they achieved their first Premier League triumph since that game, as they came up against another of the season’s newcomers in the shape of Sheffield United and picked up another three points, having condemned the Blades to a 2-0 defeat.

In his 900th match as a league manager, David Moyes named the same side that lost narrowly at Liverpool six days ago.

The visitors went into this particular contest off the back of a 8-0 home defeat by Newcastle United and the Hammers were keen to inflict more pain on them, while getting themselves back to winning ways in the process.

Jarrod Bowen and Tomáš Souček both had good chances, as the home fans saw their side take control in the early stages but unfortunately, neither player was able to beat visiting goalkeeper Wes Foderingham.

Bowen then tried his luck again with a header but it was terrifically dealt with by the former Swindon Town and Glasgow Rangers stopper.

Cameron Archer and Vinícius Souza both had shots blocked by both James Ward-Prowse and Nayef Aguerd.

Ward-Prowse then went close with one of his trademark free-kicks but it was easy for Foderingham to hold onto the effort.

The majority inside the stadium were cheering with twenty four minutes gone. A great team move involving Aguerd, Captain Kurt Zouma, Vladimír Coufal and Edson Álvarez resulted in Bowen calmly finishing past Foderingham for his first goal in Stratford this season.

The home side piled on the pressure for Paul Heckingbottom’s team, as Álvarez, Michail Antonio and Souček all as attempts before the Czech midfielder doubled their advantage on thirty seven minutes. Emmerson Palmieri found Antonio and with a clever turn, the former Nottingham Forest winger played Souček back in and he slid the ball into the net, giving Foderingham no chance.

West Ham were relieved when they saw the visitors miss a golden chance. They got the ball into the box and shot but goalkeeper Alphonse Areola did well to get a hand to the effort. However, when the ball was in play again, they managed to send it wide of the target.

After three minutes of stoppage time were signalled, referee Graham Scott blew for the break and the hosts had done a really professional job up to this point.

The Irons were really resolute when the action was back underway, as they didn’t feel the need to move through the gears, particularly as they have another European encounter to focus on in just four days time.

The Blades then started to put their opponents under pressure, though not too much. Coufal managed to thwart Souza and just minutes later, Areola made a great save to keep out a header from Anel Ahmedhodžić.

The East Londoners were looking for their first clean sheet of the new campaign and by this point, they were determined to hold onto what they had. Although they had chances to build on their lead, they weren’t able to take full advantage.

The home side made a double change on seventy two minutes with both Mohammed Kudus and Saïd Benrahma coming on for Álvarez and Antonio.

Oliver McBurnie and substitute Anis Ben Slimane wasted chances as the Blades looked for a consolation.

Six extra minutes were added at the end of the ninety, which gave Moyes enough time to make another double change. Pablo Fornals and Konstantinos Mavropanos were introduced in place of Bowen and Lucas Paquetá.

There wasn’t too much more time for those alterations to make a big impact as Scott blew the final whistle seconds later.

The Hammers’ next outing is in Germany on Thursday night when they play their second game in Group A of the UEFA Europa League against SC Freiburg.